Central Railroad of NJ GP7s
Central Railroad of New Jersey’s fleet of GP7s were built in 1952. They were primarily utilized in passenger service between Jersey City and Bay Head, between Jersey City and Raritan, and between Matawan and Atlantic Highlands before delivery of the Budd built Rail Diesel Cars for that latter service.
When CNJ became part of Conrail, No. 1523 was renumbered to No. 5681, and No. 1524 became 5902. In December of 1976, both locomotives were transferred to NJDOT, predecessor to NJ Transit. NJT donated both locomotive to the URHS collection in 1993. Both engines were restored cosmetically. 1523 is leased to Cape May Seashore Lines, who maintains it in operational condition. 1524 is restored cosmetically and is stored non-operational in URHS Boonton Yard.