PRSL M-402 & M-408
Before the Garden State Parkway and the Atlantic City Expressway, the railroad was the preeminent way to travel to the Jersey Shore. In 1933, the Pennsylvania Railroad and Reading Lines partnered to form the Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines (PRSL) to eliminate duplicative trackage to shore destinations. With the advent of better highway travel, the PRSL began to lose passenger revenues. The joint venture purchased several self-propelled Rail Diesel Cars (RDC) from the Budd Company, which could be operated more economically than an entire train. These cars predominantly served between Philadelphia, Atlantic City, Cape May, and Wildwood. The M-402 and M-408 were donated to URHS in 1991 by NJ Transit and are currently housed by Cape May Seashore Lines.